Salty

Wow.  Other than one sentence on Memorial Day, it has been more than a month since my last post.  Unfortunately I haven’t been behind the camera too terribly much, but do have a few sessions booked for June and July, including a destination wedding and an out of town commercial shoot.  I also managed to find some time on a recent business trip to California to stop by the Salton Sea (my pal Heath spent some time there earlier this year and put together quite a nice set of images which you can see here).  I wasn’t blessed with a ton of time, nor was I blessed with great skies (not a cloud in sight!).  However, I do have something special planned for this place in the near future.  More on that later, on to a few long overdue images.

I started out with my Nifty Fifty and a 2 stop ND filter so I could shoot wide open in the blaring sun.

I moved to my trusty wide angle to try and capture some of the expansive abandoned and forgotten feel of the place.

Finally, I finished up with my 10 stop ND filter.  This image sums up the Salton Sea… it can look beautiful at first glance with it’s turquoise waters, but closer inspection reveals jagged rocks along the shore line, abandoned docks and piers, and of course dead fish.

This entry was posted in Places.

6 Comments

1. Chris Nitz June 2, 2011 at 6:16 am #

I really like the middle shot. just something about the boots that makes the shot for me. Also, the dead fish in the last shot is a nice touch to the whole abandoned feel. Lovely images!
    Chris Nitz recently posted..Lego Wars Results for May 2011

2. Chris Frailey June 2, 2011 at 6:42 am #

Hey Rick, nice job with these. Love the texture in the first shot. We need to grab Ken and Mike and do another outing.
    Chris Frailey recently posted..Nantucket Lobster Shack

3. Jason Hines June 2, 2011 at 5:09 pm #

Great shots Rick! I was planning to get out here soon myself. I guess we can all thank Heath for this one.
    Jason Hines recently posted..Adventures in UrbEx – Phoenix Trotting Park Part III

4. Chrisdmrf June 2, 2011 at 11:36 pm #

Cool shots, last 2 especially
    Chrisdmrf recently posted..A Londoners London

5. Kristi Hines June 3, 2011 at 7:50 am #

Nice shots! It is terrible when the sky doesn’t cooperate with photo trips, but it looks like you made the best of it by focusing on other areas in the composition. :)
    Kristi Hines recently posted..Early Morning Light

6. Jan Winther June 7, 2011 at 3:38 am #

Ohhh.. I like the middle one. Looks like part of Juno beach the day after D-day. Those lone boots are just amazing. Great great processing on the this one. Its spot on.
    Jan Winther recently posted..Photo walks…